Before you judge me for reviewing Miley Cyrus’ album, let me just say- it surprised me too. Miley released her album on October 4th, and you better believe I was at Target that morning to pick up my own deluxe edition. Flashback a few weeks earlier and there we were at the VMAs gawking at her and Robin Thicke on stage. Can I say I loved that performance? I loved that performance. She was actin’ a fool and didn’t care about anything else. It was a mess and it was beautiful. I’m on your team, MileyBird.
1. Adore You- Smart choice for the first song on the album. Miley sounds like an angel, but more like a damaged angel. Does that make sense? Her voice is angelic but still has that perfect raspy sound. The song is slower, and probably nothing you would expect. Take that, HATERZ.
2. We Can’t Stop- I believe this song is Miley’s way of telling everyone she honestly doesn’t care what you’re thinking, honestly.
3. SMS (Bangerz) ft. Britney Spears- This is the song that I would want to play when I walk down the street while everyone looks in my direction. It’s sassy and BA and gives a boost of inner confidence.
4. 4×4 ft Nelly- I’m just going to let this track speak as Nelly’s redemption for that poor Honey Nut Cheerios commercial.
5. My Darlin’- Remake(ish) of the classic “Stand By Me.” One of my favorite songs on the album.
6. Wrecking Ball- Quit making fun of her for that video. She was sad and hurt and I know how that feels. THOSE FEELINGS WERE REAL. All white underwear and wife beaters aside, this is an outstanding power ballad.
7. Love Money Party- Should be played at college parties everywhere. I’m not in college anymore. Sigh.
8. #GETITRIGHT- This is probably one of my least favorite songs on the album. It reminds me of clowns and inspires me to dance really ridiculously.
9. Drive- You told me that you wanted this/I told you it was all yours, If you’re done with it/Then what you say forever for?” Is all I have to say about that song.
10. FU- A song every girl needs to listen to. FU boys, FU. Liam, is this about you?
11. Do My Thang- I don’t support her spelling of “thang,” however, power to ya, Miles, you are DEFINITELY doin your thing.
12. Maybe You’re Right- Another one of my favorites. The song builds throughout the track and her vocals are INSANE.
13. Someone Else- A perfect closer to the album. Sums up the new Miley, comin’ atcha.
Bangerz as an album has everything an album should have: the sad songs, but the happy ones too, the songs about how pissed you are after a breakup, but the songs about how much better off you are now. The song that literally says “F-U” and the song that gives you inner confidence. There’s only one thing I wish Miley had done with this album: let it speak for itself. She sounds amazing and showcases her talent in each song. I think if Miley would have stayed clear of controversy in the weeks before she released her album, less people would have judged her in such a negative way and taken the album more seriously.